Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hair

My hair is very fine and soft. Its a shade of coppery-blonde that I detest, but the people who look at me the most love. I used to dye it, but I've since stopped (too expensive). I also had very long hair until last December, when I got bored with it and chopped it to my chin. It had an awkward phase for longer than it looked good, but now I'm at an OK place again.
My mother's hair is dyed a sandy-almost-platinum blonde. I think her hair used to be a coppery-brunette. Her hair is relatively short, but she likes it to grow "long" sometimes (meaning to her ears). It still retained some of the curl she got from her perm-days in the late eighties, which gives it texture.
My father's hair was salt-and-pepper, but now its more salt. He styles it in different ways, and is proud of his changes, but I can never tell the difference between one hair style and another. Its thin, like mine, but he has a full head of it at 60. I think he has great genes.
My sister Christine's hair was also permed in the eighties, but since she keeps her hair longer than my mom's, she needs to use a straight-iron. Her hair is dark brown and thick. She currently has it at shoulder length. She gets her hair from her mother's side of the family. My sisters and I have different moms.
My other sister, Suzanne's hair is also like her mother's - dark and thick. She doesn't have much of a curl to it, although in the eighties she had one of the most drastic perms that I've ever seen. Sue oftentimes cuts her hair herself.
My boyfriend Brian's hair is dark and what I would call not thick. He has dark straight hair, and since we use the same shampoo, its very soft. I like it when its summertime and he grows his hair shaggy. But when he cuts it, he looks so handsome! His hair doesn't always cooperate, though; by the end of the evening, his hair is all disheveled. I still think he looks great!
I think that hair is an important part of how one looks. With the right hair, it can make someone pop out of the crowd. I'm looking forward to my hair growing longer so I can style it more often!


Vocabulary Words

Relatively (adj) - in comparison with something else
Salt-and-pepper (adj) - composed of a fine mixture of black with white
Shaggy (adj) - untidy; unkempt
Perm (noun) - Also called permanent wave. a wave or curl that is set into the hair by the application of a special chemical preparation and that remains for a number of months.
Curl (noun) - a coil or ringlet of hair (circle shape)
Thick (adj) - close together; closely packed thing (think: opposite of thin)



Use those words in a sentence!

1. My granddad has ____________________ type of hair
2. My mom went to the salon to get a ____________________. She said it will last for 6 months!
3. My niece has a singular ______________ coming down in the middle of her forehead! Let me tell you, her hair is not straight!
4. She was ______________ nice....a lot nicer than Denise!
5. The horse had a really _________________ mane!
6. My dog hasn't had a bath in months! He's a _________________ dog!



Grammar point

In this paragraph, I talked about my family's hair. Tell me about your family's hair!

1 comment:

  1. I liked the description of your family's hair. My mother and brother have thick, curly hair, but my father and I have fine, wavy hair. My son's is thicker than mine.

    The big story in our house is the cat hair. We love our cats but can't stand their hair and hairballs. Thankfully, humans don't get hairballs.

    ReplyDelete